SKILLS, ABILITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- MS Office Suite, including: Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook, Sway.
- HTML/XHTML and CSS
- Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premier Pro, Audition and Dreamweaver
- Social Media, including experience with the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, WordPress, HootSuite, Storify, TweetDeck, and Bit.ly.
- Technical writing and editing, including UX and information design.
- Creative and news writing
- Graphic design principles and techniques
- Website Design
- Internet browsers, including: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE.
- Experienced in Internet Research and producing case studies and analyses.
- Keyboarding over 80 wpm.
- Effectively resolved customer and personnel conflicts with collaboration and negotiation.
- Received acclaim for outstanding customer service from internal and external customers.
Bachelor Degree, Technical Writing Major; Graphic Comm. Minor, Eastern Michigan University ~ Dec. 2016
Associate Degree, Occupational Studies, Washtenaw Community College, Ann Arbor, MI ~ Dec. 2013
California Shorthand Reporter Certificate, Court Reporting Program, Chaffey College, Alta Loma, CA ~ Dec. 1986
Michigan Accreditation, Asbestos Management Planner and Inspector, Environmental & Occupational Cert & Training, Kalamazoo, MI, Mar. 2009
Writing and Editorial Experience; Sept. 2006—Apr. 2015
- Created business documents, incl. Employee Manual, Safety Program, Accident Prevention Program, Risk Management Program, employee training program, yearly maintenance program & spreadsheet.
- Created content & gathered documents for 6-8 monthly school board meetings including agendas, minutes; departmental, financial & special reports.
- Created branded marketing docs, incl: logos, brochures, fliers, proposals, monthly mailings, emails, business cards, advertisements, letterhead, and bidding documents, including layout/illustrations.
- Researched & prepared Federal USAID Contract Proposal for Palestinian construction contract in collaboration with architects and engineers from U.S. and Palestine.
- Copyedited employee & student handbooks, annual education reports, school improvement plans, legal texts and websites, deposition and court trial transcripts, and fiction novel transcripts.
- Performed legal research to fact-check legal texts prior to publication.
- Proofread/copyedited legal texts and websites during all stages of publication cycle.
- Updated school websites monthly in compliance with laws and reqs.
- Submitted & archived official records in compliance with public school record retention reqs.
Project Management/ Compliance Coordinator Experience
- Responsible for ensuring 7-9 charter schools in two states complied with Fed., State, and Authorizer requirements or regulations, including emergency, facility, inspection, kitchen/cafeteria, and school board administration. Achieved perfect compliance levels.
- Coordinated facilities maintenance and kitchen compliance with employees at six school sites.
- Planned and executed yearly school board training event, including engaging speakers, arranging for breakfast and lunch catering, and activities for family members.
- Collaborated with people of diverse ethnic backgrounds to ensure specialized needs were met.
- Created School Food Service Programs for six school sites to comply with USDA requirements and county Health Department permitting requirements.
- Created archive systems for compliance with public school record retention;
- Trained office, food service, and facility workers in various compliance requirements.
- Organized, entered & managed information in databases and archival systems/servers.
Administrative/Executive Assistant Experience
- Provided customer service for internal and external customers.
- Scheduled client meetings and contract completion dates.
- Prepared Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable on QuickBooks.
- Archived records for short and long-term storage.
- Answered and directed phone communications and inquiries.
RELEVANT EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
(Note: Global Education, Global Vision Devel. & AJ’s Maintenance are related family businesses)
- Freelance Copyeditor and proofreader; Jan 2013-Present
- AJ’s Maintenance & Services (AMS), Ypsilanti, MI Mar–Aug 2011; Jan–Apr 2015
- Global Educational Excellence (GEE), Ann Arbor, MI Sept 2006–Mar 2010, Sept–Dec 2011
- Global Vision Development (GVD), Ann Arbor, MI Dec 2010–Mar 2011
- American Charter Education Services (ACES), Fenton, MI Mar 2010–Dec 2010
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), Ann Arbor, MI Nov 2001–Jul 2003
Court reporting experience
Independent Contract Court Reporter ; Jan. 1987—Aug. 2006
- Earned MI & CA Shorthand Reporter Certs & National Court Reporters Assoc. RPR-CM.
- Recorded verbatim testimony using machine shorthand in court, hearings, and depositions.
- Transcribed verbatim testimony of highly technical medical, engineering, accounting, and legal expert witnesses using computer-aided transcription, sometimes under tight deadlines.
- Performed research for testimony transcription and style formatting.