I was a court reporter for 20 years and left that in 2006 when work was very slow. After working as an administrative assistant, project assistant, compliance coordinator, captioner, proposal writer, and business office manager through 2011, I decided I thoroughly enjoyed creating business communications.
My kids finished college so I took the opportunity to return to school myself. In Dec 2013 I received my AS degree from WCC and in April 2017, I earned my BS degree from EMU, where I majored in written communications, concentrating in technical writing, and minored in graphic communications. I enjoyed my time back in college and learned much more than I expected to.
Me and My Gang
General information and useless trivia about me
- The greatest achievement of my life is successfully raising three incredible young adults. They are all loving, considerate, and independent contributors to society, and what’s really great is that I like them all. They are proof that you can do everything wrong as a parent and still end up with incredible kids you love to hang out with.
- I love learning new things and am interested in more than I have the time to learn. In addition to writing and graphic communications, I have useful knowledge or aptitude in the following fields: interior design, photography, creative writing, gardening, crafting/creating, craft beer brewing, construction and remodeling, and charter schools.
- I studied Social Media during spring of 2015 and learned more than I could have imagined. My Twitter handle is @marmccr8 and I am on LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- I did a little writing for the Eastern Echo, EMU’s student newspaper, the Opinions column; You can read my articles on my author page on the newspaper website.
- I am a member of the Sault Saint Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians.
- My paternal grandparents both emigrated from Italy in the early 1900s; my dad grew up in the Little Italy area of Los Angeles, very close to where Dodger Stadium is today.
- I grew up in Rialto, California, which is at the foot of the San Bernardino Mountains where Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake are located, and about halfway between Palm Springs and Los Angeles. It is bordered by I-15, which leads you to Las Vegas going north or San Diego going south, and Interstate 10, which stretches from Santa Monica Beach on the west coast of Southern California all the way to the east coast in Florida.
- Some of Rialto’s claims to fame include it being home to the Wigwam Motel along Route 66; it’s the hometown to NFL great Ronnie Lott and MLB player Jeff Conine (both from my generation but retired). It’s final home to other notorious/famous persons including Rodney King (whose videotaped beating by police in 1991 led to the 1992 Los Angeles Riots) and top stunt pilot Art Scholl (who was killed in a flying accident while filming the movie Top Gun with Tom Cruise).