I recently completed the coursework for my Bachelor of Arts degree at Eastern Michigan University (EMU) where I majored in written communications, concentration in technical writing, and minored in graphic communications. I learned much more than I expected to over the last few years.
Some General Information About Marianne Frontino McCreight
- I was certified as a California, Michigan, and national shorthand reporter and worked for 20 years as an independent court reporter, mostly taking depositions and hearings but also some work in courts.
- During school (2013-2016) I worked as a part-time proofreader for court reporters, reading court transcripts and deposition transcripts, and have also done some transcribing.
- I love learning new things and am interested in more than I have the time to learn. In addition to writing and graphic communications, I find the following things interesting: interior design, photography, creative writing, gardening, and many different kinds of crafting/creating, especially any kind of upcycling or repurposing of old things into new.
- I studied Social Media during spring of 2015 and learned more than I could have imagined. Following that summer full of continued self-study, I broadened my target career goals to include social media management, content creation, and website and information design in addition to technical writing. I remain active in the social profiles I set up and this blog I started during the course. My Twitter handle is @marmccr8 and I am on LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- I did a little writing for the Eastern Echo, EMU’s student newspaper, the Opinions column; You can read my articles on my author page on the newspaper website.
- The greatest achievement of my life is successfully raising three incredible young adults. They are all loving, considerate, and independent contributors to society, and what’s really great is that I like them all. They are proof that you can do everything wrong as a parent and still end up with incredible kids you love to hang out with.
- I am a member of the Sault Saint Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians.
- My paternal grandparents both emigrated from Italy in the early 1900s; my dad grew up in the Little Italy area of Los Angeles, very close to where Dodger Stadium is today.
- I grew up in Rialto, California, which is at the foot of the San Bernardino Mountains where Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake are located, and about halfway between Palm Springs and Los Angeles. It is bordered by I-15, which leads you to Las Vegas going north or San Diego going south, and Interstate 10, which stretches from Santa Monica Beach on the west coast of Southern California all the way to the east coast in Florida.
- Some of Rialto’s claims to fame include it being home to the Wigwam Motel along Route 66; it’s the hometown to NFL great Ronnie Lott and MLB player Jeff Conine (both from my generation but retired). It’s final home to other notorious/famous persons including Rodney King (whose videotaped beating by police in 1991 led to the 1992 Los Angeles Riots) and top stunt pilot Art Scholl (who was killed in a flying accident while filming the movie Top Gun with Tom Cruise).
(Me and my gang with my Christmas tree, 2016)
John and Marianne, Thomas and Alyssa, Aleks and Katherine, Bobby and Michelle